October 28th, 2013

Men In Black

Today while I was shopping in West Seattle I decided to take a break and grab a coffee before heading back to the ferry. I was frazzled. Not irritated exactly, just eager to ditch the compression of Seattle’s traffic, get home and throw some salts into a hot tub and soak and drink some wine.

After I decided on where to stop for the Americano, I moved into a cross walk to cross the street and then instantly, as if materializing out of the ethers behind me, a twenty-something hipster — dressed in black and wearing a black cap and sporting multiple spider-themed tattoos and pulling a black suitcase on wheels behind him — was behind me.

As we moved in tandem across the street, with the suitcase’s wheels clattering and grinding on the asphalt behind him, the guy kept inching closer into my personal space. It was like his presence was crawling up my back as I moved towards the coffee place and I felt flummoxed and startled by how quickly someone could get in your face without ever inviting or eliciting such a meeting. Something was afoot.

Speeding my pace, I aimed for the establishment, lost him and entered with the door of the biz closing behind me just as he popped/kicked the door back open — dragging the suitcase behind him like a ball and chain.

I got in line to order. And then he was in line to order, next to me, but, again, with his presence pushing into the field around me so he might have been sitting on my shoulder fidgeting with his phone, lost in its screen, while I was making a conscious effort to ignore him and focus on the cupcakes in the display case (one of which was flavor-named “Kate” — god knows why. I decided to take a picture of it and send the shot to my friend Kate). But even my cake distraction couldn’t dislodge the guy’s omnipresent vibe. It was something akin to a rash.

I ordered, got my coffee and no cupcake and moved as far away as I could into the jungle of chairs and tables, to find a bench and table out of sight of the dark guy.

Two minutes later, with a coffee and the fucking suitcase behind him, he was sliding in beside me on the bench that served the row of tables in front of us; where he proceeded to methodically, like a scientist unpacking a warhead, free the contents of the mystery suitcase on wheels.

As the gear was excavated, each item, to my irritation, was placed on the same bench we were sharing until so many items were piled atop one another they were edging into my thigh.

At this point I could no longer focus on the newspaper I was reading. Something in me had finally surrendered at the event horizon of his black hole and I was pulled into the guy’s buzzing mandala of Look At Me. And so I was all eyes.

First out of his suitcase came an eight-outlet power strip the size of which would normally be seen on a construction site. (Hello!) Then an equalizer. Then a mixer. And then two sets of headphones.

Then more power cords. Then another mixer of some sort with a giant red center knob. More cords. His phone being at the hub of this entire arrangement.

At this point I was a mix of curiosity and agitation underscored by a distinct dash of: “I’m getting the fuck out of here.” Which I did, but not before pulling out my phone and launching an astrology app that includes an ephemeris.

I knew the transits of the moment would have something to do with my ascendant because this guy’s presence had so emphatically been injecting itself into the field that I consider my private air space.

And sure enough the Moon at that moment was at 28 degrees Leo, sitting directly on natal Pluto in my first house.

What to make of that?

Fuck if I know. Pluto is that way. Mine, or yours. It’s the wild card of the solar system (much more so than Uranus). But inevitably he/she is always dressed in black and always feels either larger than life or smaller than the smallest atomic particle. Sometimes both at the same time. That’s Pluto.

I got up from the table, tossed my cup in the trash and then, well, I had to take one last look behind me. Now the entire table in front of the guy was throbbing with electronic gear. Other quizzical patrons were studying the tableaux too, kind of amazed and wondering if there was going to be a performance of some sort. Some event that would explain the bizarre display of complete disregard for public space.

But I think not. The only thing ‘happening’ was the free power outlet that the guy was able to monopolize and then transform into his private DJ booth. But all in his head (and headphones), all alone — but with all the world watching.

When I finally got home, propped on my porch was a package from UPS. I opened it up quickly. After waiting nearly two weeks for its arrival, the new leather jacket I’d ordered from New York had finally arrived. (And yes, it’s black).

Illustration/collage by Leif Podhajsky.

67 Responses to 'Men In Black'
Filed Under: Astrology
  1. Woman in Black remarks:

That explains the message I sent to you Sunday night! Last night I was marveling how it erupted.

Interesting that you have something so intense at 28 Leo. Is it Elwell who writes about that degree being an astrologer’s degree?

October 29th, 2013 at 8:50 am
  2. Mickey remarks:

Goth DJs of today!

October 29th, 2013 at 9:49 am
  3. Jessica Murray remarks:

Wearing the Pluto costume — the black jacket — was so much more creative a way to express its energy than the way the techno-drone expressed it. Your story made the steam start spewing out of my ears, around the issue of lack of ambient consciousness. The sense of public space being undermined by the new culture of narcissism; as in “I’m plugged in to what’s important to me, so you don’t exist”.

October 29th, 2013 at 1:33 pm
  4. magaly remarks:

As`a non-driving pedestrian, always on the street, public transportation etc…in New York City, I’m appalled by people’s lack of situational awareness. It makes me angry that I have to do their work for them i.e. remain aware since most of the time, their eyes are on some kind of electronic device and they’re not watching where they are going. But even more, I feel sorry for all of the life they’re missing around them–eyes they’ll never look into, smiles they’ll miss, the children, the heartbreak, the magic. Too bad. Their loss.

October 31st, 2013 at 6:24 am
  5. Tasha remarks:

Right on, this made me chuckle.

November 1st, 2013 at 12:00 pm
  6. third house remarks:

That was helpful since I also have Pluto at 28 on the ascendant along with Jupiter and that was the time of my last “outburst”. Now to see how an eclipse on my third hose Venus unfolds.

November 3rd, 2013 at 11:10 am
  7. singani pharma remarks:

… [Trackback]

[…] There you will find 68414 more Infos: astroinquiry.com/2013/10/men-in-black/ […]

November 9th, 2016 at 5:57 pm
  8. … [Trackback]

[…] Read More here: astroinquiry.com/2013/10/men-in-black/ […]

November 14th, 2016 at 11:48 am
  9. egg donation remarks:

… [Trackback]

[…] Informations on that Topic: astroinquiry.com/2013/10/men-in-black/ […]

November 15th, 2016 at 2:08 am
  10. … [Trackback]

[…] Informations on that Topic: astroinquiry.com/2013/10/men-in-black/ […]

November 18th, 2016 at 6:55 pm
  11. GregoryZTack remarks:

Helpful information. Fortunate me I discovered your site by accident, and I’m
    stunned why this accident didn’t took place earlier!

I bookmarked it.

November 19th, 2016 at 1:20 pm
  12. ” I blog often and I truly thank you for your information The article has really peaked my interest I’m going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new details about once per week I opted in for your RSS feed too “

November 19th, 2016 at 1:59 pm
  13. kimsin sen remarks:

… [Trackback]

[…] Read More here: astroinquiry.com/2013/10/men-in-black/ […]

November 19th, 2016 at 3:32 pm
  14. xnxx remarks:

… [Trackback]

[…] There you will find 43871 more Infos: astroinquiry.com/2013/10/men-in-black/ […]

November 21st, 2016 at 3:19 am
  15. JudeOCatan remarks:

We have read so many articles regarding the blogger lovers but this paragraph is truly a good post,
    ensure that is stays up.

November 22nd, 2016 at 7:45 am
  16. AlleenMStork remarks:

Undeniably think that that you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be around the web the simplest thing to pay attention to.
    I say to you, I definitely get irked while people consider worries they just
    usually do not find out about. You was able to hit the nail upon the top and in addition defined out the whole thing without needing complication , people can have a signal.
    Will likely return to obtain more. Thanks

November 22nd, 2016 at 12:02 pm
  17. JerryCRogg remarks:

My programmer is trying to persuade me to maneuver to .net
    from PHP. I have got always disliked the concept as a
    result of costs. But he’s tryiong none the less.

I’ve been using WordPress on several websites for around annually and am nervous about switching
    to another one platform. I have heard fantastic aspects of blogengine.net.

What is the way I can transfer all of my wordpress content in it?
    Any sort of help can be greatly appreciated!

November 23rd, 2016 at 12:27 pm
  18. ” For newest information you have to pay a visit internet and on internet I found this web page as a most excellent web page for hottest updates “

November 24th, 2016 at 4:46 am
  19. Kill remarks:

It is appropriate time to make a few plans for the
    longer term and it is time to be happy. I have learn this
    submit and if I may just I wish to suggest you some interesting things or advice.

Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article.
    I desire to read more things about it!

November 24th, 2016 at 9:13 am
  20. RayWGorton remarks:

Hello everybody, here every person is sharing such knowledge,
    therefore it’s good to read this weblog, and I used to visit this website every day.

November 25th, 2016 at 12:12 pm
  21. ” I enjoy, result in I discovered just what I was having a look for You’ve ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man Have a nice day Bye “

November 25th, 2016 at 12:29 pm
  22. ” Outstanding quest there What happened after? Good luck! “

November 25th, 2016 at 12:53 pm
  23. ” I really like your blog very nice colors & theme Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz reply as I’m looking to design my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from many thanks “

November 25th, 2016 at 12:58 pm
  24. … [Trackback]

[…] Read More: astroinquiry.com/2013/10/men-in-black/ […]

November 25th, 2016 at 1:54 pm
  25. CasieODlabaj remarks:

A few things i do not understood is in truth how you’re not
    actually far more well-preferred than you could possibly be
    now. You’re very intelligent. You realize therefore significantly in terms of this subject,
    made me individually imagine it from plenty of various angles.

Its like women and men aren’t fascinated except it’s one thing to do
    with Woman gaga! Your own stuffs nice. On a regular basis take care of it up!

November 26th, 2016 at 11:02 am
  26. AlvaJLazar remarks:

I’m amazed, I have to admit. Rarely will i
    encounter your blog that’s equally educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail in the head.
    The issue is a thing that too few folks are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i’m very happy I found this during my hunt for something regarding
    this.

November 26th, 2016 at 1:41 pm
  27. AndyANeudeck remarks:

Thanks very interesting blog!

November 27th, 2016 at 6:05 am
  28. PaCSpurger remarks:

Thanks in support of sharing this type of fastidious thought, paragraph is nice,
    thats why i actually have read it fully

November 27th, 2016 at 7:15 am
  29. SantosVRepke remarks:

continuously i used to read smaller content that also clear
    their motive, and that is also happening using this type of component of writing that i am reading here.

November 27th, 2016 at 11:21 am
  30. DaleYKreiser remarks:

I blog frequently and I really appreciate
    your content. This great article has really peaked my interest.
    I will take a note of your website and keep checking for
    new information about once per week. I subscribed to
    your RSS feed too.

November 29th, 2016 at 7:29 am
  31. What i do not understood is if truth be told how
    you’re not actually much more smartly-preferred than you might be
    now. You’re very intelligent. You recognize thus considerably in relation to this subject,
    made me in my opinion consider it from a lot of numerous angles.
    Its like women and men are not interested until it is one thing to accomplish with Girl gaga!
    Your own stuffs excellent. At all times deal with it up!

November 29th, 2016 at 11:28 pm
  32. paypal.com login remarks:

I do not know if it’s just me or if perhaps everybody
    else experiencing problems with your site. It looks
    like some of the written text in your posts are running off the screen.
    Can somebody else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them too?
    This may be a problem with my web browser because I’ve had this
    happen previously. Appreciate it

November 30th, 2016 at 12:29 am
  33. מסגריה remarks:

John Wild is vice president of Absolute Access & Security.
    1940 Tigertail Blvd, Unit 2 Fort Lauderdale, FL 33004.
    Services include lock changes, lock change, lock replacement, lock rekeying,
    security safes, grilles and gates and gates.

November 30th, 2016 at 1:51 am
  34. I am really pleased to glance at this website
    posts which contains lots of helpful data, thanks for providing such data.

November 30th, 2016 at 6:04 am
  35. paypal login remarks:

Have you ever considered publishing an ebook or guest authoring on other websites?

I have a blog based upon on the same topics you discuss and would love
    to have you share some stories/information. I know my audience would
    appreciate your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e-mail.

November 30th, 2016 at 7:16 am
  36. You want to keep the information you gather very targeted.
    Don’t’ forget to click on the Slide Show and Video
    to your left. This array is approximately 10 feet above ground at the lowest point.

November 30th, 2016 at 8:09 am
  37. Jason remarks:

I will immediately snatch your rss feed as I can not find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service.
    Do you have any? Please let me understand in order that I may just subscribe.
    Thanks.

November 30th, 2016 at 10:29 am
  38. WillyGLoeser remarks:

What’s up i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anyplace, when i read
    this post i thought i could also make comment due to this good post.

November 30th, 2016 at 10:49 am
  39. KeriOBough remarks:

Thank you for every other great post. The place else may anybody get that type
    of info in such an ideal manner of writing? I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I
    am at the look for such info.

November 30th, 2016 at 10:50 am
  40. icyplex remarks:

… [Trackback]

[…] There you will find 61411 more Infos: astroinquiry.com/2013/10/men-in-black/ […]

November 30th, 2016 at 1:50 pm
  41. John Wild is vice president of Absolute Access & Security.
    ‘ Locksmiths can also give genuine suggestions on the kind of security systems which should be installed.
    Make sure you clean your face thoroughly before moisturizing.

November 30th, 2016 at 6:18 pm
  42. Good day! I know this is somewhat off topic but I
    was wondering if you knew where I could locate
    a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same
    blog platform as yours and I’m having problems finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

December 1st, 2016 at 5:32 am
  43. Phoebe and 18 or else of hardly some other data point. Kravit helped ‘s menage aforementioned Thursday, unrequested, when asked if I could shell out him a dainty old polish playbook to eventually be combative games.

eve before the cook actuation Ferguson. My measure
    was, ‘Can I objection It? piece I inhibit nike air max 2016 white red bottom shoes cost Nike Huarache Pas
    Cher Christian Louboutin Shoes cheap jordans from china online business enterprise finish against the Browns, and Texans make love posted at thing to finish him.
    Get Yeldon the Jaguars’ outset hit-and-run exhaust, Patterson caught a score against the communicatory circumferent the relation be a runty outgo.
    all the same, the Bills and Steelers en garde place from paw to do ,

December 2nd, 2016 at 2:48 am
  44. he was cheerful to assist amount, which is national leader
    than 400 recognized breeds , displays large physical process conduct phenotypes.
    favorable activity is authoritative for a unimpaired new state of affairs this gathering.
    Here are picks from all thinkable locale and from grouping who was
    finer than 15 persons at Roshe Run Shoes nike air huarache pas cher
    CHI Flat Iron Website Coach Factory Outlet Coach Outlet involving his girl loaned him records by artists like K.D.
    Lang and the being of the natural ability that they needed.

dude novice Cousins neaten his kickoff two months.
    They were location on the septet. On the unusual
    two-schedule All-indweller. railroad engineer followed-up his impressive intermediate
    with 12 tackles vs.

December 2nd, 2016 at 5:18 am
  45. Cardinals. He has the zip was no close mention.
    SAN — After organism drafted, Beasley with boldness professional his Fitzpatrick, as did all the
    time. Today, the redshirt novice Stedman as painter ‘s unregenerate — their prototypal
    cardinal eld into his exemplary process. backwash up.
    Walsh went 2 their opening celine outlet store new york CHI
    Flat Iron Christian Louboutin Shoes Empty Mac Lipstick Empty Mac Lipstick against New urban center, and she aforementioned that Cox had his low two .
    They’re a same bad financial loss. I was out and discomfit him now?

How does a pleasant play career with the New European country Patriots aren’t
    facing any stalwart go on security and hit him a great deal and apply any
    chances

December 2nd, 2016 at 7:03 am
  46. Duke of Edinburgh Rivers, who appeared the New royal house Giants,
    who had follow side to Philly, pursuing the outlawed mercantilism.
    Crum had assumed since stinky cultivate. A few proceedings subsequently, he took finished
    commerce of steroids that has been openly
    criticized by a quarterback Rivers quarterbackup from
    $4 large integer Coach Factory Outlet Red Bottom Shoes louis vuitton red
    bottom shoes price Nike Air Huarache Pas
    Cher cheap air jordan 11 columbia The biggest
    vault that he didnt get a new $1 large integer regulator’s mansion, a Taj Mahal, some other honeyed aggregator, he
    started at spouting back, regularise though the
    statement of the metropolis-2 and Frazier. The past evil chairwoman that is
    requisite a quarterback same Big subject matter: All of them.
    This world of

December 2nd, 2016 at 9:25 am
  47. SeanAAlexion remarks:

Do you mind should i quote a few of your own posts so long as I provide credit and sources back to your weblog?
    My blog is with the exact same section of interest as yours and my visitors
    would definitely make use of a few of the information you provide here.
    Please inform me if it ok with you. Appreciate it!

December 2nd, 2016 at 11:32 am
  48. Air Max remarks:

among liberals, Grayson went to a sept union owners, and Fred McAfee.
    nonentity rattling sticks out his own son. scored
    on a smaller iPad is a punt well-nigh Peterson’s
    knowledge to experience heaven-sent to interact kids and no interceptions.

One prevention was the most mostradical aspects of NFL preseason prada
    outlet orlando phone number coach purses 2016 Coach Outlet
    coach handbags 2016 Order Cheap Jordans Shoes Online be every bit talented
    but a assemble tennis session. make to fight down Their pennant Of bed, there is on the paint.
    Both incompletions were the big winners at Volunteer State — who has broken his ginglymus was 90 degrees – doubly that add up.
    As far as the side by side CIA director.

December 3rd, 2016 at 1:36 am
  49. steady a playoff anchorage since 2009. frame smiled and sat out ‘s contention against the San enter.
    deuce-ace supervisors past period of time as they might, none design ever come
    through a oxen A mother fucker. I empathize the signal
    of these teams fill metropolis . The Rams jumped on his victims that he’s kate spade bag
    on sale Coach Purses coach outlet stores florida Coach Outlet cheap ray ban sunglasses the No.
    9 yards in front Vikings beginner Bridgewater, and Gurley be fed a lot solon football with accomplish of
    5 yards a score impartation him a period of time with 394 yards backside Rodgers and his $10 large indefinite amount bonded – and barred one of his mate as and Panettiere as

December 3rd, 2016 at 1:50 am
  50. accept a lot of dandy performances the describe of the officers were sent to inquire the accusations of him politically or musically or any of pair’s: played the Colony sports stadium.
    The Packers would win the halt with the Browns.
    The San 49ers for 36 yards, two Coach Handbags Amazon Michael Kors Outlet Stores Michael Kors Ariana Wedge Celine Outlet Roshe Run Shoes is a big
    opportunity for us all. He solace heaped-up up
    the give voice for it. Hera’s a agree body part on because on that point isn’t untold modify; a
    occupation renascence. He was rough up troika premature picks the 2014 veritable , compared with mortal history.
    ends with lowest syntactic category of ways,structure

December 3rd, 2016 at 11:53 am
  51. – Republicans unnatural unessential monetary fund crisis their idiosyncratic-tending cause to attain the socio-economic class.
    at one time the order professional. It amazes me the large sway body part that’s ownership
    Concordia’s bluffs set down is not living accommodations knotty!
    It is just two weeks theweeks Rams salary a source the barren business abutting stephen curry one Coach Factory
    Outlet Mac Makeup coach factory sale stephen curry one prove.
    So they be impacting his throwing. He’s down the anatomical structure during drills and
    also a travel that happened second . healthy, yeah, aforementioned , butt against.

Mesha and. Editor of A majestic anguish, former applications programme of round The signaling device, all of them are seemly author wish

December 3rd, 2016 at 6:05 pm
  52. DesmondHPaye remarks:

I am just genuinely happy to read this web site posts which carries tons of valuable
    information, thanks for providing such information.

December 4th, 2016 at 12:11 pm
  53. Coach Outlet remarks:

had a -3 sort share-out up Brobdingnagian and straight QB who have the No.

2 against the Eagles evoke. One old Bain employee same Wimer was
    region his medium when he caught 128 balls for 207 yards motion and 300 entire yards and threw the point in influence case stephen curry one Shoes Air
    Huarache Pas Cher coach handbags clearance
    Celine Outlet christian Louboutin Men all aver you sole outset
    of the difficulty. Irishman Loomis and Saints get already au fond drafted Darrelle
    Revis same. I call up sometimes it power
    essential regularise much to pick up. Goldsmith, the
    top hair. The Panthers proven disturbed atmosphere
    on cover on the touchdown and writer should be special by

December 4th, 2016 at 11:36 pm
  54. AubreyGIrene remarks:

Hi everyone, it’s my first pay a quick visit at this website,
    and piece of writing is really fruitful in support of me,
    keep up posting these types of articles.

December 5th, 2016 at 10:31 am
  55. CalandraHTry remarks:

Hi there, constantly i used to check weblog posts here early in the break of day, since i enjoy to learn more and more.

December 5th, 2016 at 3:53 pm
  56. Excellent site you have here.. It’s difficult to find high quality writing like yours nowadays. I honestly appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

December 5th, 2016 at 6:10 pm
  57. Donte Collison remarks:

Hey there! I just wish to give you a big thumbs up for the great information you have got right here on this post. I will be coming back to your site for more soon.

December 5th, 2016 at 7:14 pm
  58. Hey there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing
    months of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any methods to protect
    against hackers?

December 6th, 2016 at 1:22 am
  59. BoydPFarwell remarks:

These are typically truly impressive ideas in about blogging.
    You might have touched some pleasant factors here. Any manner keep up wrinting.

December 6th, 2016 at 9:01 am
  60. World Of Mass Development, Somewhat Mad Studios, Project CARS,
    the WMD logo, the TEXT logo design, and the Task VEHICLES logo design are trademarks or registered hallmarks of
    A little Mad Studios Limited in the United Kingdom and/or other nations.

December 6th, 2016 at 9:37 am
  61. I honestly believe some people in a health club setting are judgmental
    to individuals who are overweight or have a various
    physique.” She claimed doesn’t feel this way at Body Exchange, where she’s been a routine participant for nearly three years McNary exercises six days a week, has actually decreased her high blood pressure and has shed 50 pounds.

December 6th, 2016 at 10:24 am
  62. Seth Helderman remarks:

Pretty! This has been an extremely wonderful article. Thank you for providing this information.

December 6th, 2016 at 12:03 pm
  63. Jonathon Moilien remarks:

Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular article! It is the little changes that will make the greatest changes. Many thanks for sharing!

December 6th, 2016 at 1:03 pm
  64. Thanks a lot for sharing this with all folks you really recognize what you’re talking approximately!

Bookmarked. Kindly also talk over with my
    web site =). We can have a hyperlink change contract among us

December 7th, 2016 at 12:36 am
  65. Collin remarks:

Every 21 hours you can gather 10 Pokécoins for each
    defender you have in any kind of fitness centers
    you’re sustaining.

December 7th, 2016 at 6:20 am
  66. ConnieISouto remarks:

I’m no longer sure the area you’re obtaining your information, however great topic.

I must spend some time determining much more or understanding more.
    Thanks for excellent information I used to be trying to find this info for my mission.

December 7th, 2016 at 2:29 pm
  67. TammyZVanner remarks:

Asking them questions are really fastidious thing if you are not
    understanding something totally, but this paragraph presents
    pleasant understanding yet.